First, I want to acknowledge what an uncertain time this is. As many of our jobs are shifting to virtual settings, I want to share tools that may be useful as you create online resources to provide information and work virtually with colleagues.
All of these resources have free options.
- Screencast-o-matic: Use the free recorder to record your screen or record yourself.
- Screencastify: A way to record, edit, and share videos. The Chrome extension works well.
- Loom: A free screen and video recorder.
- Zoom: A video conferencing platform that is easy to use. The free account only lets you host online meetings for up to 40 minutes.
- Adobe Spark: Online virtual presentation software.
- Canva: Graphic design software.
- Animoto: Drag and drop video creator that lets you add photos, narration, video, music, etc.
- Powtoon: Lets you create an animated video to go along with your audio recording for explaining concepts.
- Biteable: Video creation tool that lets you use templates and provided clips to create videos to share.
- Hypothes.is: A way to annotate the web, hold discussions, and take personal notes.
I hope these resources are helpful. Stay well.
Lauren Hays, PhD, is an Assistant Professor of Instructional Technology at the University of Central Missouri. Please learn more about Lauren and read her other posts about skills for special librarians; then take a look at Lucidea’s powerful ILS, SydneyEnterprise, used daily by innovative special librarians.
Skills for special librarians include tuning out to avoid burnout; disconnecting from work, taking time every day to revitalize energy and enthusiasm
Skills for special librarians include using the Universal Design for Learning framework to develop meaningful training for users of special libraries
Skills for special librarians include leveraging statistics from a request research management system to demonstrate value and organizational impact
Skills for special librarians include a commitment to lifelong learning; reflective practice supports professional development and improved service