If you are planning to buy an ILS, or want to migrate/upgrade, you need to think about your organization’s needs both strategically and tactically in order to select the right platform. Here are 10 questions to ask yourself that will help.
While there are lots of synergies between an ILS and a KM system, there are strategic and tactical questions/issues that are particularly relevant to each.
- Are you being asked to do more with less?
- Powerful functionality doesn’t have to cost a lot; hosted solutions can help
- Do you need to manage non-traditional content types?
- Systems that help you organize and deliver multimedia are more important than ever
- Are you managing a large library with a small staff?
- An ILS that empowers you to customize and administer it yourself is a must
- Are you building a sustainable library that will adapt to end users’ changing needs?
- Leverage classic capabilities in new ways; a flexible ILS opens up new possibilities
- Do you know which resources are most and least used?
- Built in reporting helps at budget time or with contract negotiations
- Would you like to eliminate workflow hiccups?
- Look for purpose-built workflows that fit library needs right out of the box
- Do you need a full MARC cataloging interface?
- Classic library tools still have an important role
- How about enabling end users to spend less time searching, more time doing?
- Look for built in search tools that are intuitive and easy to use
- Are you getting the most from your online resources?
- Metrics down to the user and specific content level are illuminating
- It’s midnight in NY; 1 p.m. in your Tokyo office. Do you know where that book is?
- Multi-location libraries need a union catalog—a great use for write once, read many
There’s a lot to think about when you are managing an organization’s information and knowledge management needs. If you’re considering an ILS and any of the above questions are relevant to your situation, ask potential vendors if they can help you answer them. We’re betting that will get you down to a short list—let us know!
P.S. You might want to check out our other blog post titled 10 Questions Your KM System Should Help Answer.
Lucidea, leader in innovative museum collections management software, bringing Argus CMS to AAAM 2021 with free webinars, chance to win AirPods.
Interview with two art museum librarians and archivists who edited the new book The New Art Museum Library; trends, professional development
The basic principles of archives and records management need to be adapted to the current information environment, including technology
Lucidea is the parent company to a full portfolio of market knowledge management and library automation applications including GeniePlus; case study